Thursday, September 27, 2012

HeLa

Yes, I am a person that uses abbreviations for things whenever possible. This week for class we had to read part one of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. I started this book over the summer and didn't mind reading it. I'm kind of a history nerd (mostly American history and WWII stuff) so I actually find the things that take place in the past interesting to read about. I've never been a fan of science but reading about the history of science and how far it's come isn't that bad. It's crazy to me that; one, the HeLa cancer cells never died and that they are in people today, still helping others and being used in medical science. And two, that Henrietta and her family were never told that her cells were still growing outside her body and that they were being used in research. I think the family should have been told what the doctors were doing with her cells. If it were me, I don't think I would have been happy not knowing that my cells were being used for medical research until after it had already been done.

No comments:

Post a Comment