Sunday, September 30, 2012

Phil Levine

Friday night I went to hear Phil Levine speak with a few friends. I had never been to a poetry reading before so I figured I'd give it a chance. I think it would have been more fun if I actually liked poetry... It was hard for me to pay attention to what he was reading. He kept telling what I guess were jokes but I didn't get them or find them very funny (maybe because I'm not into poetry) but everyone else was laughing and I didn't really understand why. My friends and I were talking when it was over and they both felt the same way. Both of them are dance majors as well and I think we (or at least I) wasn't interested in it because I had nothing to watch. I've noticed that before too when I've had to watch speakers that I lose interest quickly if I have nothing to watch. That's probably just because I have been watching dance my whole life and that what I love to watch pretty much no matter what and that's what I'm knowledgeable about. I don't think I will be attending another poetry reading anytime in the near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment